We believe in delivering measurable outcomes and sustainable projects for the future.
(Alastair King, Foundation Trustee)
Swan Foundation is a charitable organisation set up to help communities in East London and South Essex achieve more for themselves. We work with our partners to remove the obstacles that are holding people back.
We Challenge Exclusion
In partnership with businesses we aim to address the challenges of regeneration in socially and economically excluded areas. One part of this is helping people overcome the obstacles to success. These obstacles cover many aspects of people’s lives and the priorities we have set reflect that.
Download and read our Concordance agreement below.
Swan Foundation Concordance Agreement (PDF)
To develop and build the capacity of those people living in socially and economically disadvantaged communities in (but not exclusively) Essex and East London to enable the regeneration of disadvantaged areas: relieving poverty; increasing employment prospects; and reducing the effects of economic and social exclusion.
Swan Foundation is about putting people first and doing more for them by joining forces and combining resources.
(John Synnuck, CEO Swan Housing)
We work in partnership with forward-thinking businesses and organisations to do more for disadvantaged people and neighbourhoods
Working with partners for change
By working with our partners on new and exciting projects we will be able to help those most in need. We aim to support residents, build cohesive communities and help individuals realise their potential.
We work through Concordance, an agreement between Swan Foundation and its partners, to make a difference in people’s lives. It enables us to build partnerships with different businesses and create new approaches to corporate social responsibility (CSR). We aim to raise people’s aspirations and that means being ambitious,
Find out more about Concordance...
Concordance is about more than building partnerships. It’s a promise that everything we gain from partners, whether it is time, money, advice or facilities will be used for the benefit of local communities.
Improving peoples lives
Our aim is simple. We want to improve the quality of life for people and communities in East London and Essex. We plan to make this happen through Concordance.
To help the communities who live in or near homes built, managed or supported by the Swan Housing Group, above all in the London Boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Newham and in South Essex. To maximise employability and employment amongst local people and to encourage community participation in activities that promote well-being and liveability in the area. We use our extensive links to the wider Swan Housing Group as leverage to maximise benefits for local people
We achieve our goals by channeling the funds we raise:
- by promoting and supporting local social enterprises;
- by investing in improvements to the local environment;
- by helping people to be trained for jobs and to have access to jobs including apprenticeships
- by encouraging community participation in improving the local area and activities;
- by sponsoring activities that help to promote independence, health and well-being (e.g. employability skills’ sports and healthy living);
- by building on our existing networks through links to the wider Swan Housing Group;
- by working with other charities working in our target communities;
- by encouraging businesses with Corporate Social Responsibilities to focus on our target communicates and helping them to do so; and
- by actively fundraising to supplement our income.
How we test a project proposal for relevance:
- Will it focus on one of our target communities?
- Will it increase employment?
- Will it increase community participation in local improvements?
- Will it contribute to improvements to the local environment?
- Will it improve the health, well-being or employability of local people?
- Will it support a strong local network of social enterprises and a mixed, cohesive community?